Old prescriptions, e-waste, lead paint? Now’s your chance to dispose of these items safely and responsibly.
On May 9, the Dept. of Environment and DeVry University are hosting a collections event from 9am to 3pm. Although DeVry is not located in Albany Park, you can help keep our ‘hood clean by making the short trek to 3401 N. Rockwell (Roscoe Village) to toss your old stuff.
The Collection Day is accepting these items:
* Old or unused prescriptions and over-the-counter medications
* Computers, cell phones, fax machines, scanners, and keyboards
* Hazardous household chemicals
* Lead or oil-based paints (NOT latex-based paint)
* Old gas cans and/or gas-powered lawn mowers
In addition to free CFLs, Chicagoans can also buy compost bins for $35 or rain barrels for $45. ($35) and rain barrels ($45), payable by check or money order. If you’re dropping off an old gas-powered mower, you’ll $100 credit towards an electric or push mower.
If you can’t make it to this Collection Day, you can always bring your items to the Goose Island Collection Facility.
Image via Blue Cart Recycling
Alderman Laurino’s office recently announced that the Blue Cart program, already rolled out to the North Park-adjacent area of the ward, will be expanded. Starting in late March, crews will deliver Blue Carts from Central Park west to Cicero and from Devon south to the southern borders of the 39th (roughly Montrose).
- The card will be delivered to the front of your home, but will be serviced from the same location where your trash is picked up. If you have alley service, place the Blue Cart next to your trash carts in the alley. Want to be a nice guy? Move the Blue Carts back for your senior or physically challenged neighbors, too!
- Beginning the week of April 6, the City will start to service the Blue Carts. Take the time to review what you can place in the Blue Carts. You don’t have to separate your recyclables, but you shouldn’t throw trash in there, either!
- Attend one of these community meetings if you have additional questions about the program: 3/18 @ 7pm, Kilbourn Park; 3/19 @ 7pm, Disney II Magnet School, 3815 N. Kedvale; 3/21 @ 10am, Mayfair Library, 4400 W. Lawrence; 3/23 at 7pm, North Park Village Nature Center, 5801 N. Pulaski; or 3/24 @ 7pm North Shore Community Bank, 4343 W. Peterson.